Maybe you enjoy matcha lattes on the regular or maybe you have never even heard the word before today. Well matcha, aside from being delicious, has a number ofhealth benefits such as boosting brain function, promoting heart health, lowering blood pressure, and even weight management. Oh yes, matcha is amazing.
What is Matcha?
Kim's Convenience / Via media.giphy.com
This delicious green treat is traditionally consumed in East Asia. Our founder fell in love with matcha while visiting Japan.
Matcha literally means "powdered tea," and that is what you are drinking when you have a cup of matcha: processedgreen tea leaves that have been ground into a fine powder.
Fun fact: green tea and matcha come from the same plant- Camellia sinensis - butdiffer in how they are grown. Green tea is grown under the sunlight, while matcha is grown under the shade which makes a difference!
As compared to a glass of green tea, where the leaves of the plant are infused in hot water and removed, matcha powder is made from the entire tea leaf.This creates amore concentrated flavor experience with a cup of matcha. Matcha has contains numerous antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and all-natural plant compounds.Matcha is also known to create a feeling of “alert calm” due to the amino acid L-theanine, which induces relaxation without drowsiness. That means clean energy for you matcha drinker.
Matcha does contain caffeine though far less than a cup of coffee.
Health Benefits of Matcha
If those weren’t reasons enough to drink matcha, there is more! On to the amazing health benefits of drinking matcha:
- Weight Management. Green tea is loaded with antioxidants, various plant compounds, and substances that can help you lose fat. Numerous studies have shown that green tea extract has been linked to increased fat burning, especially during exercise.
- Liver protection. Research has shown that participants with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, who received green tea daily rather than a placebo, saw significant reductions in liver enzyme levels.
- Brain function enhancement. Research also showed that matcha drinkers saw improvements in attention, reaction time, and memory when compared to study participants who did not consume matcha.
- Cancer prevention. Matcha is known to be high in epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a type of catechin (an antioxidant), that has been shown to have powerful anti-cancer properties.
- Heart health support. It has been shown that matcha and green tea can reduce levels of total and “bad” LDL cholesterol, as well as triglycerides. Matcha and green tea also help prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, another factor that may protect against heart disease.
Matcha is High in Fiber
MTV Jersey Shore Family Vacation / Via media.giphy.com
Yep, another thing we love about matcha is that it is high in fiber. You know we love fiber. It can aid with weight management, improve regularity, help regulate blood sugar levels and boost your immunity.
The USDA recommends a daily fiber intake of 25 grams of fiber for women and 38 grams of fiber for men. However, 95% of Americans are nowhere near that goal.We always recommend you look to your diet to get your fill of fiber like green peas, broccoli, avocados, pears, artichoke, and oatmeal which are all fiber-rich.
However, we know it's hard to hit 25+ grams of fiber a day via diet alone. The struggle is real and that is why there is Bonny.
Fiber + Matcha Togehter in Bonny
Do you know that you can get both the goodness of fiber and matcha in one fiber powder? Yes, that’s Bonny!
Bonny’s Matcha Magic flavor, which is a blend of our custom fibers with matcha and a hint of pear for pop. This fab fiber also contains adaptogens in the form of lion’s mane mushroom and chlorella to provide an energy boost. Our high-quality matcha is of course sourced from Japan. Only the best for Bonny.
Bonny’s plant-based fiber supplement powder is made up of a custom fiber blend containing psyllium husk powder and inulin for a crafted combo of soluble and insoluble fibers.
Other exciting fiber flavors in the Bonny line-up include Amplified Apple Pie with Maca Root to boost your metabolism; Berry Beauty’s Rhodiola to help your inner glow shine bright; and Strawberry Serenity with Ashwagandha that helps reduce stress.
It’s always a great time to start taking charge of your health. When starting a new health regimen, don’t forget to check in with your doctor for your diet and lifestyle changes.
As always, we wish you pleasant poops.